Ceuta: Spain says over 60,000 migrants have entered from Morocco
By ITV News
Community Score: 50% | 36.5K views | 2w
0 community ratings: null thumbs up, null thumbs down
At least 60,000 people have crossed into Ceuta, Spain's tiny enclave in North Africa, and at least 57 people have died in the last 24 hours. The influx of people completely overwhelmed local authorities at the border with Morocco, with Spain deploying the military on Friday to try and contain the situation. Moroccan police used water cannons and fired warning shots into the air to prevent migrants from crossing into Ceuta, according to rights groups in Morocco. Ceuta usually only has a population of around 85,000. Spain's interior minister said at least half of the people who crossed into Ceuta had already gone back to Morocco. In response to the crisis, Italian Premier Giorgia Meloni suspended Italy's open-border Schengen agreement with Spain for maritime and air travel, reintroducing border controls. She said Italy was also ready to support any European initiative that would assist Spain. ----------------------- • Subscribe to ITV News on YouTube: http://bit.ly/2lOHmNj • Get
Tags: Ceuta, spain, migrants, crisis, Morocco, europe, ITV News, global news, foreign news, EU politics
More from ITV News
- Watch as judge sentences teacher who murdered his adopted baby to life in prison — Score: 50%
- Brexit: The inside story of the night that changed Britain — Score: 50%
- Watch as Peter Murrell sentenced for embezzling SNP money — Score: 50%
- Thomas Tuchel not a fan of World Cup hydration breaks — Score: 50%
- Seventh Prime Minister in ten years incoming: Watch ITV News at Ten from Downing Street — Score: 50%
- What Britain might look like with Andy Burnham in charge — Score: 50%