What evidence justified Operation Southern Spear? A CNN investigation
By CNN
Community Score: 50% | 16.4K views | 1w
0 community ratings: null thumbs up, null thumbs down
The US military’s strikes on alleged drug boats have likely illegally killed “individuals who are not involved in narcotrafficking,” Sen. Tim Kaine told the White House on Monday, following “a careful review” of classified information he has seen so far. “They are murder victims,” the Virginia Democrat wrote in a letter to President Donald Trump. So far, the US military has killed at least 221 people and destroyed at least 67 vessels in the “Operation Southern Spear” campaign, which began last September. The administration has told Congress the US is in an “armed conflict” against drug cartels, labeling those killed “unlawful combatants” and claiming the ability to engage in lethal strikes without judicial review due to a classified Justice Department finding. 0:00 Who are the victims of the US boat strikes? 2:51 CNN investigative journalists on who were killed 5:56 The Pentagon's statement 6:35 Senator Kaine on the letter he sent to the White Watch 24/7 live news with CNN Headline
Tags: news, cnn, trump, c.n.n., venezuela, southern spear, hegseth, war, military, navy, strikes, colombia
More from CNN
- Fmr. General Petraeus on the ‘big mistake’ Iran’s military is making — Score: 50%
- Residents flee Beirut after Israeli strikes — Score: 50%
- United Airlines flight emergency lands in LA — Score: 50%
- Video shows building collapse after Israel strikes southern Lebanon — Score: 50%
- Rubio addresses Americans in the Middle East — Score: 50%
- Ret. military brass react to Trump's 'big wave' in Iran war — Score: 50%