Hegseth faces questions after reports of sailors going overboard

By CNN

Community Score: 50% | 231.3K views | 3d

0 community ratings: null thumbs up, null thumbs down

A sailor went overboard earlier this month off of the USS Abraham Lincoln, three US officials told CNN, amid reports of worsening mental health for crew members on the ship during an extended deployment for the Iran war. The sailor was rescued within an hour, according to one of the officials, and was medically evaluated. A different official said that the sailor had gone overboard wearing a life vest and was not injured, adding that the Navy considered the incident a mental health episode. On Wednesday, Blumenthal, a Democrat from Connecticut and a member of the Armed Services Committee, wrote to Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and the Acting Secretary of the Navy to express “serious concern” about the increasing length of deployments and demand answers about living conditions aboard the carrier. 0:00 CNN confirms sailor went overboard amid reports of worsening conditions 3:16 Military Times Pentagon Correspondent responds to Hegseth's claim morale is 'misrepresented' 6:42 Sen. Blume

Tags: news, cnn, trump, c.n.n., hegseth, iran, uss lincoln, sailor, overboard, hormuz

More from CNN

  • Fmr. General Petraeus on the ‘big mistake’ Iran’s military is making — Score: 50%
  • Residents flee Beirut after Israeli strikes — Score: 50%
  • United Airlines flight emergency lands in LA — Score: 50%
  • Video shows building collapse after Israel strikes southern Lebanon — Score: 50%
  • Rubio addresses Americans in the Middle East — Score: 50%
  • Ret. military brass react to Trump's 'big wave' in Iran war — Score: 50%