Cornyn: "This doesn't need to be this hard"

By C-SPAN

Community Score: 50% | 12.1K views | 2w

0 community ratings: null thumbs up, null thumbs down

Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) said Thursday that the White House has been unwilling to meet his demand to permanently scrap a controversial $1.8 billion "anti-weaponization" fund, throwing Todd Blanche's nomination to be attorney general into limbo. "I thought we were pretty close to landing the plane last night, but this morning there's been some more complications," the Texas Republican, who recently lost his reelection bid to a Trump-backed challenger, told reporters. "I think if this were just between me and Todd Blanche, we would have worked this out." The fund, which was widely panned on Capitol Hill, was part of the Justice Department-brokered settlement President Trump reached with the IRS earlier this year over the leaking of his tax returns during his first administration. Sens. John Cornyn and Thom Tillis (R-NC), who opted not to seek reelection, have both said they will not support Mr. Blanche until they have assurances in writing that the settlement will be reworked to per

More from C-SPAN

  • Investigative Journalist Tom O'Neill on CIA's MKUltra Mind-Control Program — Score: 50%
  • In Pursuit - America 250: H.W. Brands on Chester Arthur — Score: 50%
  • BN+ Podcast: Claudia Rowe, "Wards of the State — Score: 50%
  • 2018: FIFA president shows Trump a red card — Score: 50%
  • Washington Today (7/6/26): Trump Travels to NATO Summit; Campaign 2026 Senate Races Heat Up — Score: 50%
  • Rutte urges allies to reach defense spending targets — Score: 50%